Spring is in the air and it’s time to clean up more than just the garage! If you haven’t made it in for your hygiene appointment, now’s the time! Summer will be here before you know it and so will busy schedules and summer activities to keep us going until fall!
Use Spring Break to Spring Ahead!
Spring break is the perfect time to get the family caught up on their oral checkups and cleanings. Get the whole family scheduled and beat the rush.
Did you know? According to the ADA, 50.5% of Americans floss daily, and only 18.5% of Americans don’t floss at all.
Knowledge is Power
We, as adults, know the importance of our dental health, but it’s our duty to teach and instill the same importance in our children, too. It goes beyond just brushing and flossing. Sometimes, especially for kids, seeing is believing and that’s why we love this educational video on teaching kids about the causes and effects of cavities.
The picture becomes clearer when we look at some readily available numbers and statistics. Many people consider the dentist an afterthought. If your child’s not in pain, then there’s no problem, right?
Sadly, that’s not always the case.
Here are the numbers:
- Roughly one in five (20%) children between ages 5-11 have at least one untreated decayed tooth. – Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- One in seven (13%) adolescents between ages 12-19 years have at least one untreated decayed tooth. – CDC
- 42% of children between ages 2-11 have had tooth decay in their primary teeth. – The National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR)
- Childhood tooth decay is the #1 chronic childhood illness. – The National Children’s Oral Health Foundation (NCOHF)
- Childhood tooth decay is five times more common than asthma and seven times more common than hay fever. – NCOHF
Numbers don’t lie and unfortunately, there are many adults who don’t see a dentist regularly, either. It’s time to change that.
If you haven’t made it in for your regular hygiene appointment, now’s the time to get it scheduled! Contact us today!
~Dr. Marea White