In the spirit of American independence, I wanted to suggest a patriotic snack that’s also pretty healthy for you. It’s important to have an amazing all-American Fourth of July feast, but you can still go with something that’s not too sugary (since we’re all about taking care of your teeth).
Here’s a delicious recipe for Red, White, and Blue Strawberry Shortcake, courtesy of allrecipes.com.
The recipe makes one 9×13-inch cake.
- 1 package (18.25 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 1 container (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 pint fresh blueberries, rinsed and drained
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, rinsed and sliced
1. Prepare cake based on the directions on the box of yellow cake mix.
2. Bake in a 9×13-inch pan. Cool completely.
3. Frost cake with whipped topping.
4. Place blueberries in a square in the upper-left corner to represent the blue field of white stars. Place the sliced strawberries in lines to represent the red stripes.
5. Chill until you’re ready to serve.
That’s it! It’s a simple, delicious, and fairly healthy way to celebrate the Fourth of July with your loved ones!
This one just might become a tradition… Enjoy!
~Dr. Marea White